Friday, May 02, 2008

a lot can happen over coffee

Nic and Bonnie have been journaling a lot, recording the events that have happened so far. I find it difficult to journal for some reason. Maybe it is because I feel like I am talking to myself. At least on here I know there are one or two people who will read it, so that makes typing things worthwhile.
There are too many stories to tell so far. We went to the Mother Theresa house. Unfortunately it was closed on Thursdays because it is the sisters day of prayer so all we got to see was her tomb.
We saw a sweet bollywood movie called "Tashan." It was all in Hindi but it was still the best 50 rupees we have spent so far. The action was ridiculous and the dance moves were intense. I learned a few to show you when we get home.
After that we went to New Market, a touristy bazaar. the salesman and beggars were very aggressive. many of the beggars followed us for awhile, grabbing on to and cutting in front of us. they seemed to target bonnie the most, so we made her walk in the middle of us boys to shield her a bit.
On the way home we stopped at the Golden Fast Food restaurant and had some rolls. These are chipati and egg with a bunch of vegetables. delicious, filling and cheap.
We had met some boys on the street the day before and played cricket with them. As we walked home they were already waiting for us to play. Eric, Nic and I actually won a game.
Today, we went to a big mall that was A/C'ed and hung out for a while. We didn't really shop but it was a nice place to escape the heat. We enjoyed an espresso at Cafe Coffee Day. Espresso is one of those things I always think I will like and I always end up hating it. maybe one day I will learn.
We made it to the airport and waited for our flight that was delayed 2 hours. the weather was bad so the flight was pretty bumpy. one spot we hit was the worst turbulence I've ever experienced, but we made it to Guwahati in one piece.
Ray and Ellen's should be fun. I'm sure Nic will put a much better blog up than this one soon, so stay tuned for that.

one quote from the Blessed Theresa that struck me: "We can do no great things...only small things with great love."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you survived the heat and beggars in Kolkata
Sounds like a fun trip already except for the turbulence, that would suck!
Can't wait to see a picture of your hair cuts.
Be sure to send me one.
Have a blast and Ray and Ellen's

Laura

jerms said...

i could take you guys at cricket.

Anonymous said...

miss you ty! went to church with your mom and matt on Sunday! I managed to convince him to get out of bed. Proud of me? Can't wait to see you in June!!! If you still need a date, I'll be happy to oblige :) love ya!

Yussouf said...

Just happened on this, Tyler. Thanks for blogging. Will follow your adventures most avidly.

Anonymous said...

In order to appreciate success, sometimes we have to experience failure. I did. I spent more than 1/2 hr. writing a comment....then forgot to save it.
The same goes with much of our life. Life has it's roses along with the thorns. And until we experience
hunger, we may not appreciate super abundance of good food in North America.
time is our friend or it can be an enemy. We can't turn time in reverse: We can only learn from it.
Back will i come.
jl

Kori and the Lovely Lisa said...

Sounds like fun so far.
You beat some local kids at cricket.
How old were they? 8.
Stay safe.
kori

John, Angie and the kiddos said...

Hey man. haha, thanks for THE update.

I signed us up for soccer after you guys left. We play Mondays. I've already got 10+ who have comitted to play. Should be fun. When are you back again?