Friday, August 31, 2007

fish out of water.

i've been so busy since returning to the west that I have hardly had anytime to think about the experience I just had half way across the world.

all I know is that when I do have time to myself and can think, I feel empty, sad, angry, confused, blessed, guilty, convicted, motivated, stuck.

why am I so blessed? the dream of every ugandan child in the school was to go to university. i am at a university except I hardly percieve it as a dream fulfilled. do I wish to change places with them? maybe; that way I don't have to feel so...I don't know.

it was so good to see my rwandan friends again and to understand a little more. I held hands with one of them. it was a neat moment.

uganda felt like home almost. hard to describe i guess. all I know is that i need to go back there soon. hopefully in may.

i got a job on campus to help make some extra cash so I can pay for a plane ticket in the summer. anyone who wants to join kris and I is more than welcome.

check here for all my photos from africa.

more updates soon.

3 comments:

Yussouf said...

Hi, Ty!
Lisa had the same feelings when she came back from Botswana. Maybe you should get in contact with her.

Yes, we have so many blessings and we are unaware of the totallity of the amount.

Alicia Slywka said...

oh man i so know what you mean.
i espically felt anger after i came home cause i went back to my job at the coffee shop and people would come in and buy $5 drinks and would get mad at me for putting foam on their lattes. and i would want to scream at them and be like theres kids in africa who live on less than a dollar a day and you are mad at me for putting foam on your drink. so dumb.. our world has totally lost focus of whats important. its so easy to live our comfortable lives and and not notice whats happening in the rest of the world.
its sickening to come back to a place where we have so much but take it for granted. it also made me sick to leave everyone that i knew in africa to come home to my car, my cellphone, my ipod.
africa is such a simple place-very little possesions but so much happiness. but our society has become so messed up by money and power. there is unlimited possesions but no true happiness.
we live in a sad world.
i'm so glad you feel these feelings though. seriously everyone needs to experince africa for themselves so that they can trully understand and feel these feelings.
and don't let yourself fall back into the routine of home. its so easy to just slide back into your comfortable life and forget the feelings you got.

so i've written like a novel so i should probably go. if you ever want to email me and talk about africa, do it. i will never pass up an oppurtunity to talk about it.
i love it that much.
talk to you later

Anonymous said...

i'm going to india. jerk.